Saturday, April 21, 2012

Inspiration

I believe on a daily basis my inspiration comes from many different places; my son, my husband, even my dogs, sometimes it comes from a story I hear, a movie I watch, or a book I read. Because I've moved towards a more spiritual life my inspiration may come from my daily affirmations or just a "feeling" I woke up with & let flow outward. It's come from class assignments & classmates or conversations with friends. I never know where or when it may come but I know that it will. When I am inspired I believe I write very well, I've actually had a poem published years ago when I was in college, then the inspiration was dark as the name of the poem was Merry-Go-Round of Disaster. Today I am not so haunted and most of my writing is happy & light. For a very long time I did not write or really do anything creative, I had a very analytical job that encompassed most of my time, & when I tried I felt very un-creative. I felt that since I hadn't used my creativity in such a long time that I had lost it. But I think now it was just sleeping deeply. My writing style (or style for any creative outlet) is always guided by my inspiration. There are times when I use quite a bit of imagery and others where I don't use it much or at all. Sometimes I write quickly with hardly any punctuation or breaks between sentences or paragraphs. I've been told I write like I speak, which is fast & most times loud (& always louder that I realize). Sometimes I feel very poetic & everything comes out in prose. Whatever the style, it's always decidedly ME.  I like that anyone who knows me can recognize my writing quickly because my personality always shines through. I am not someone who finds it easy to write about something that I have no inspiration for. I can though it's usually pretty basic & short. When being creative, especially with writing, I let go & let the inspiration over take me. Later I can always proof & edit if needed. But I know if I hold back I will lose that something that makes my work unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment